Monday, August 4, 2014

Testimony Regarding WCG's Interracial Marriage Ban

Exit and Support Network have a letter from one writer (December 30, 2013 letter) stating how WCG's racist teaching forbidding interracial marriage caused this person to leave WCG. 
The stickler in my decision to leave was when WCG told me that God had plans for the different races: Caucasians were the ones who came up with inventions, and Asians were talented on improving on the inventions. (This was the time when Japan started "taking over" America with their exports.) The sermons spoke about the Age of Enlightenment, the period when Europeans began to come up with many revolutionary ideas and inventions. The ministers used this example to support their theory that Caucasians were "meant" to invent. (They never mentioned that China had been a world leader for over a thousand years as far as inventions go.) I can't recall the WCG saying much about blacks, not to mention any other race.

What astounded me most was when they said that the races are "equal," but that they should remain separate as far as dating and marriage was concerned. I couldn't believe my ears when I heard this! I asked some ministers about this and they said that the Bible says that a donkey should not mate with a mule, otherwise, it will result in an inferior breed. (I can't remember if it was a donkey and a mule, but it was something along that line.) And they showed me where it said such a thing in the Bible. I responded by telling him that the Bible was referring to farm animals, not people. "Besides," I continued, "the Bible never said not to mate one colored animal with a different colored animal." I then asked them, "Why did Herbert Armstrong marry someone who had Indian blood in her? [Ramona Martin] That's contrary to your teaching." They replied that his marriage to a woman of different race from his was alright because she not only had Indian blood in her, but also Caucasian blood.

I was so dumbfounded that I went to the lead pastor. Before I could say anything, he said to me, "You have a big head," implying that I was too cocky to be in the WCG. Needless to say, before they could excommunicate me, I had already left the organization. (December 30, 2013 letter.)
The letter also links to an article showing Herbert W. Armstrong's racist teaching that interracial marriage is forbidden. It quotes an article of his from the October 1963 issue of The Plain Truth. This very same article is invoked by the late Ron Fraser (PCG) to say that interracial marriage is sinful in his booklet, South Africa in Prophecy.

Gerald Flurry and Dennis Leap also condemn interracial marriage as sinful in their booklet, Ezra and Nehemiah: Building God's Temple (see Part 2 and Part 3).

Also I can personally testify that I saw Roderick C. Meredith state in one of his Tomorrow's World telecasts that one of his ancestors was a Cherokee. I have never heard LCG discussing this topic but I assume that it is not forbidden there.

3 comments:

  1. What's wrong with preserving diversity of humanity? For one thing, it's all over the Bible. Secondly, if you're going to be against preserving human diversity, are you also against preserving the different types of animals and plants? Is doing so engaging in an evil "ism" as well?

    Quite clearly your viewpoint comes from being poisoned with postmodern secular humanist values and nothing more.

    Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite clearly your viewpoint comes from being poisoned with white supremist pseudoscientific values and nothing more.

      Just saying.

      Delete
  2. And by the way, as far as inferior breed goes, you may want to look up the genetic problems of mixed-race people, especially per transplantation compatibility problems. Denying reality and gallivanting all over slapping your secular liberal equals signs on everything does not overcome reality nor the right for unique groups of human beings (you know, that great 'diversity' we're told to celebrate?) from preserving their peoplehood and heritage.

    ReplyDelete