Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Remembering the Syrian Protests of March 2011



Five years after the start of the Syrian revolution one activist remembers her participation in the protests that started on March 15, 2011 in an article on Orient News, a media outlet aligned with the Syrian opposition based in Dubai.
Despite having political discussions at home, I did dare not to talk politics at the university. Everyone was afraid. Parents would never let their children express their views or even read about politics. My parents had always warned me that such activities must be carried out in secret. Nonetheless, I joined the March 15 protest in Damascus.

I saw how the youth were mobilized on Facebook and decided to join them. On social media, people posted a photo of a girl who was arrested by security forces. Another demonstration was held on March 16 in front of the Interior Ministry, but I did not join this one; I was too afraid.

On March 18, the Deraa incident took place, in which several residents were killed, prompting further protests. I could not believe what was happening.

There were protests in many other cities, including Damascus, Homs and Baniyas. In Baniyas, the protesters even stated their demands in public. To me, it was the most beautiful day ever. It was the real revolution I was dreaming about, because Syrians had never done this before. (March 15, 2016.)

No comments:

Post a Comment